(Yet Another) Maryland Alcohol Tax Alert
Currently in the Maryland House of Delegates sits a bill that is VERY close to passing to raise the tax on alcohol in the state, which will increase alcohol prices dramatically. While the tax will not be levied on Flying Dog Brewery, we feel it our responsibility to let all of our kick ass fans in the state know that their alcohol prices will go increase heavily.
In the interest of full disclosure, we drink A LOT of craft beer. If you’re reading this, you probably do too.
So let’s do a quick math lesson to see how much that case of Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale will cost you if we don’t stop this legislation.
- Approximate retail price of a case of Doggie Style in MD: $40
- Current state tax on that purchase: $2.00
- The New “If You Don’t Get Off Your Ass and Speak Up Tax”: $3.60
While $1.60 by itself may not seem like much to some, consider EVERY purchase of alcohol that you make raising over 80% in taxes. We don’t think that’s appropriate.
We think what is appropriate for the Maryland General Assembly to balance their budget and end the fleecing of the people of Maryland. Tax methods like these will continue unless you stand up.
Here’s how you can take a stand:
- Go to http://MDElect.Net/ElectedOfficials/ and enter your home address
- Select “House of Delegates” and click find
- On the left side of the screen will appear your elected Delegate. Click their name to access contact information and drop them a quick note saying you DO NOT SUPPORT SB #994.
If you would like, please feel free to use the short letter below to aide in expediting your voice to Annapolis.
As your constituent I wanted to take the time to let you know that I am strongly opposed to SB 994. As a voting adult, I find it important to let you know that I am strongly opposed to this proposed legislation and urge you to vote against the bill.
[YOUR FULL NAME]