Flying Dog University
Higher Beer Education
Craft beer is a movement of equal parts tradition and innovation. And the movement isn’t slowing down, making a commitment to ongoing education paramount for anyone with a true respect and appreciation for the craft.
Enter Flying Dog University: A first-of-its-kind beer education program at Flying Dog Brewery.
Beer Geek Tours
Geek out on an in-depth look at the brewing process, fermentation, yeast management, quality control and packaging that will end with a tasting of new releases, pilot batches and vintage beers.
Beer Geek Tours are held on the first Sunday of every month at 12 pm and 3 pm, and are by reservation only. Upcoming dates include:
- Sunday, September 2 12 pm, 3 pm
- Sunday, October 7 12 pm, 3 pm
- Sunday, November 4 12 pm, 3 pm
- Sunday, December 2 12 pm, 3 pm
A prerequisite to this tour is a standard tour of Flying Dog Brewery or general knowledge of the brewing process. (Head over here to make a reservation for our public brewery tour.)
Want to get back to basics? Begin your journey with a three-week exploration of how beer is made, how we experience beer and how beer interacts with food. Flying Dog University’s core curriculum classes are held in our brewery classroom:
- Beer 101: The Foundation of Beer – New dates coming soon – A rigorous exploration of the history of beer, the brewing process and the four ingredients in beer.
- Beer 201: Essentials of the Craft Beer Revolution – New dates coming soon – An in-depth look at how advanced brewing processes, like dry hopping and using unique ingredients, affect the end beer.
- Beer 301: Sensory Overload – New dates coming soon – A breakdown of how beer interacts with food by comparing beer and wine and reviewing tips on pairing beer with food, storing and aging beer and cooking with beer.
All About Pickling – Friday, August 31
Learn about the parallels of fermentation of fruits and vegetables and brewing with a pickle-making demo, take-home recipes and a beer and pickled foods pairing.
The finest print: Each Flying Dog University course ends with a tasting of Flying Dog beers. All attendees must be 21 or older. All sales are final and classes are non-transferrable or refundable.